Saturday 9 January 2010

"Woodbank Park Woes"

The last week has seen the UK come to a halt with snow, ice and temperatures dropping to minus 15c . It has also seen my running coming to a grinding halt as well!

With the year only three days old I ran one of my favourite Manchester XC League fixtures at Woodbank Park. With sub zero temperatures and a rock hard course everyone rece'ed the two mile lap with great caution. My first mistake was to go for studded fell shoes not spikes and ten minutes into the race on the fastest flat part of the course just before the first big hill of the day I paid for that mistake as I lost concentration, tripped, went flying over and literally bounced off the ground. A left knee minus any skin was only a minor problem compared to my ribs which seem to crush as the air was forced out of me as I hit the ground! Slightly dazed I got up and jogged for a hundred yards before working out that as I was going to have to climb the big hill just to get back to the finish I might as well carry on running!. Two and a half laps and five miles later the pain of every breath finally stopped. To make it worse my rival Jack went past me at the start of the final lap and although I managed to stay with him he opened up a ten second gap to beat me for a second race in succession. A quick check over from a team mate Dan, a doctor in A&E (who finished just behind me and had seen me go down) confirmed that I may have bruised my ribs if lucky, if not they may be cracked but "don't come to see me in A&E because we won't x-ray you or do anything apart from send you away with painkillers and instruction to take it easy!"

A week later and my ribs are still very sore. I foolishly did try a jog last Monday (the day after the race) but last just six minutes as I walked back to the office. The only positive thing is that the Cheshire County XC Championships due to be run this weekend have been cancelled due to the severe weather, to be rescheduled for the end of the month. I have never known a XC race to be postponed but apparently it was considered that the course was to dangerous. it's a pity they didn't do the same at Woodbank Park!

As ever it pays to remember what I am always telling everyone else when they are injured. Running is for life, we are all in the sport for the long haul, and there is still a whole season ahead to get back to fitness and racing. It doesn't stop my ribs hurting though!

No comments:

Post a Comment