Friday 29 January 2010

"The Saucer and the Teaspoon"

"Hi Callum, how was your race? It was horrible, tough and you're going to die out there!" These were the encouraging words from one of the clubs talented under 17's to me last weekend just an hour before the start of the senior men's race at the 2010 Northern XC Championship's at Blackburn's Witton Park.

Undaunted I set off for a jog around the course (4 laps totalling 12k). Championship courses wherever they be; Roundhay Park Leeds (Hill 60) or London's Parliament Hill Fields are all famous for one thing, a big hill that really sorts out the large mens field. At Witton Park its the horrendous long climb of "The Saucer" that I was expecting to find on my reccy lap, only then to discover immediately before it another even steeper climb now called "The Teaspoon". Needless to say this was quite a shock for all our team and the thoughts of four times up both hills certainly made for quiet athletes.

With the mist descending and a really cold wind getting up I rethought my strategy of a fast start and instead went off steady and was pleasaed to be able to cover every climb throughout the race without resorting to the "hands on knees" style adopted by many right through the field. it was still blurry vision going up each climb though as the descent between each hill gave no chance of recovery. I was really glad to finish in one peice and in a position two thirds down the field. I was looking for my rival Jack whose name was in the start programme but he doesn't appear to have competed. He's obviously resting up for our showdown in the last Manchester League XC tomorrow!

The rest of the week was a couple of easy runs hung around the Tuesday track session which was really encouraging for my speed as I managed to consistently knock five seconds off the previous week's 800m rep times whilst also moving some intervals up to 1K. All in all eight miles of enjoyable pain!

Weekly mileage 30. Annual mileage 84 (week 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment