Monday 31 May 2010

"Shutlingsloe Fell Race"

It's only 1.9 miles long but with an ascent of over 900 feet this short local village fete race deserves its reputation as one of the toughest of the summer season. Every year now for over 30 years I have rolled up and paid my money and tried to tell myself that this year it will be different, that I will run as much of the hill as I can (usually around 20%!) and that the final ascent from the river will see me pick off competitors one by one as I climb back up to Crag Hall in front of a cheering crowd. Then I wake up from my dream!

Yet again the event was part of the English Fell Championship calendar and attracted some of the best hill racers around. Won by international Simon Bailey in 15.15 (only 4 seconds off his course record), I was still coming off the top when he touched the finishing wall at Crag Hall! I managed 26.49 only 3 seconds slower than last year but despite some reasonable climbing my descent off the hill was far too cautious, and my reflexes to react to changes under my feet are definitely slowing down! It was great to have the family there though to cheer me in at the finish. Well sat on Lord Derby's lawn eating ice cream actually!

Weekly mileage 26. Annual mileage 575 (week 21)


No comments:

Post a Comment