Tuesday 1 December 2009

"Cheddleton Christmas Pudding Race"


The last week has been a real mix of quality sessions and a poor race to finish it off!

The week started well with a five mile threshold run around my new work base in Sandbach followed by a real quality track session (5 x 12oom fast 30 secs recovery/ 200m fast and 200 m recovery) which left me on my knees!.

The week end was meant to round this all off with my first running for twelve years of the famous Cheddleton 10k Christmas Pudding Race. Set high up in the beautiful Staffordshire Moorlands this really local race attracts everyone from the fun runners to the sub 31 minute racers. With three two mile laps each with 3 long slow climbs and short fast descents this is not one for a pb or for when you are mentally or physically not at the top of your game. I made the mistake of looking at my previous time before the race and although I was within three seconds of my lap target at two miles (14 minutues) I knew then that I was never going to hold the pace. finishing in 44.26 (107th out of 485). Looking on the bright side the prize to each runner was a christmas pudding which will definitely take pride of place on the big day in a few weeks time! Also it was nice to race against (but lose to) many of my club colleagues who I don't normally see as I rarely frequent the roads. The other big plus is the photos taken off me at least show I was holding my form even on the hills with a good forefoot striking action and driving arms. Good job photos can't show the pain!
The other highlight of the week was my son Matt's band ZapZapZap played their second gig on the "unsigned bands" night at Manchester Academy 3 and even got collared backstage by a London music critc who had travelled north to see the band on after them! Who knows what may happen next, maybe a world tour! Here's the bands final number a cover (the only one they do in the set) of Joy Divisions "Transmission".

No races this next week so time to get a few longer runs in and plan the world tour!

Annual mileage 1155



No comments:

Post a Comment