Wednesday 23 March 2011

"The 6 Quarter Mile Session"

A quick mid week update following two really significant training days.

Last night we did one of the coaches favourite "sharpener" sessions of six 400's with two minutes recovery.

Probably the shortest session we do in terms of total distance, this is a good indicator of overall fitness levels whilst not exhausting everyone, particularly those like me who are running the Wilmslow Half marathon at the weekend. After a two mile warm up I ran the quarters in a controlled 76/77/76/77/75 and finally 80 seconds. I was really happy with this, even the slower last rep which I paced another runner to her fastest ever one lap in exactly the time we had set. As someone else remarked, that's the sign of someone who has raced on the track for too long!




Tonight would normally have been a recovery run, but based on the session set by the coach to build on and test tired legs, I ran a five minute warm up followed by a fifteen minute hilly threshold run round the local South Park. It was tough! This gives me a couple of days easy recovery before Sunday's thirteen miler.

No comments:

Post a Comment