Sunday 2 January 2011

"Let Them Eat Cake!"

It's day two of 2011, my first race of the year, and the fourth fixture of the Manchester & District XC League at the tough Woodbank Park course in Stockport.

Traditionally run straight after new year, this three lap 10k race was the first one this season to be run in a temperature above freezing! This gave rise to very soft and slippery conditions compared to last year, and although I had a good run was three minutes down on 2009 finishing in 48.32. Although being slower I was much happier with my three ascents of the tough climb that comes midway through each lap. I was also chuffed to hold off my rival Jack by one place.
The other motivating factor was being cheered on the ladies team as they jogged round on a cool down after their race and as I entered my final lap shouted that there was birthday cake (Happy birthday Sarah!) for all the men's team at the finish. That and the thought of my Wincle Brewery "Christmas Special" Ale really drove me on!
Races 1

No comments:

Post a Comment