Monday 6 May 2013

"In The Valley Of The Demon"







For many years I have been meaning to explore around the Tors up in the Peak District and in particular Thursbith a valley below Cats Tor made famous by Alan Garner in his book of that name. Thursbitch means "valley of the demon" in old english and this wild hill country is certainly only somewhere to go with a map on a clear day! So with map in hand on a warm Bank Holiday Monday I parked up at Jenkin Chapel in Saltersford and made the long climb up to Pym's Chair and on to Cats Tor. using all my map skills (fairly limited!) I eventually dropped into the valley and found myself almost in another world of being totally alone, The valley didn't let me down but with its reputation of not being somewhere to be when it goes dark I was happy to navigate my way out and if not back in civilisation at least on a tarmac road! Another  running "must do" achieved.











No comments:

Post a Comment