Sunday 7 February 2010

"33.10 Yes!"

During yesterday's easy run through Rainow (my ancestral home & favourite Cheshire village) I realised that even after only a few recent track sessions I was ready to run well at the Alsager 5 road race today. What I didn't realise was that I would manage to take off 30 seconds from last years time and run my fastest "5" for thirteen years!

After a week that again included a mix of easy runs held together with a tough track session (4 x 1200 +400 fast in between reps) I am thrilled by this performance as I ran exactly to plan. I needed to run 6.40 miles and having missed the first mile marker went through mile 2 at 13.10. Mile three at 19.51 and 4 in 26.29. The mile splits were good at 6.35/6.35/6.41/6.38/6.41. I met an aquaintance of mine Neil from Manchester University at the start and he went out really quick but by mile 4 I had pulled him back and used him over the last mile to put in a good strong finish putting 5 places and 8 seconds between us.


Another highlight of the week was the first session I coached with several runners at my new office base at Sandbach. I have committed to working them at least once a week and look forward to the group growing in both number and confidence as they begin to enjoy what running has to offer.


Next week it's back to the cross country with the county championships, but today has really boosted my confidence for the coming spring season with races planned on road, track and fell.


Weekly mileage 30. Annual mileage 145. (Week 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment